Tuesday 7 July 2015

The latest

Writers block. I'm starting to think that we only get writers block when we choose not to write about the things we feel most strongly about. Everyday I write. Everything counts and I celebrate the ability to write although it doesn't mean I give the work I have the right to be published- even on this blog. I'm not sure whether that's the perfectionist in me or whether I'm just afraid because I know the power of words.

25 Quotes That Will Inspire You To Be A Fearless Writer | “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” —Natalie Goldberg

Two weeks ago I met an artist Nic Joly in person, we chatted and spoke about what inspires creativity in all artists, whether they create sculptures or scripts. In our conversation it was so pleasing to meet someone who so passionately sees his work as a medium to confront or change the world. His latest exhibition, of which I desperately hope I can purchase my favourite piece from in the near future, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword, showcases the duality of light and dark that exists in all of us. If you live in London you must make a point of seeing it at Castle Galleries in Covent Garden or Canary Wharf. If you do not jump online and read about Nic Joly or check out his Facebook page here.

'the pen is mightier than the sword'

In any case the conversation I shared with Nic instantly inspired me and made me realise how complimentary artists creativity is to each other. A few minutes after meeting him I also met a screen writer. The difference was he didn't reveal his character until the end of the conversation when he filled me in on a rom-com he had worked on a bit more than a decade prior. It was such a pleasure to talk to a man who allowed the conversation to be just about creativity without any preface to his title or success. Though I must state I thought it was hilarious to say what I do and the amount of short stories I have written when you compare it to a man who's film is known to everyone my age or older. What was nicer though was that I could share my creativity without being considered a 'nothing'. Had the conversation been different or perhaps had I met Kanye West in disguise I bet the conversation wouldn't have gone past 'I'. 

"Create what sets your heart on fire and it will illuminate the path ahead." // lovely ink via print & pattern

For about a week after these encounters I wrote anything and everything and I brought out some old pieces that I previously had not published and decided to prepare them for the blog. Overall these little events made me realise that as writers we choose to censor our own words at times. We mustn't do that. The world, individuals, groups, ideology and dominant discourse seeks to censor us on a daily basis, our words matter, they mean something not just for the benefit of keeping ourselves sane, for sharing our gift and our thoughts but also as a vessel for change. We do not need to listen to critics, jealous types nor naysayers we simply need to have a little self belief and an attitude that no one has the right to censor who we are. To showcase my commitment to my words, over the next week or so you are going to see posts I previously censored from the spotlight, I hope you enjoy them as much I had enjoyed writing them.

Till next time...


25 Quotes That Will Inspire You To Be A Fearless Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment